High up in the mountains adjacent to Tecopa Pass, workable veins of Lead and Silver were found in the latter part of the 19th Century. First the Gunsight, just above Resting Springs, then by early 1900 a few miles south at the Noonday Mine.
The Tecopa Railroad was built about 1909 by the owners of the two mines, the Tecopa Consolidated Mining Co. Grades were steep with the final climb to the Noonday reaching up to 6.6% in the last miles.
The typical uphill consist to the Noonday was that of one or two empty gondolas and a flatcar with supplies and a water tank.
The TCR also served the Gunsight by means of a Wye located where the tracks diverged about 6 miles from Tecopa and the TCR's junction with the T&T.
Even in 1999, remains of the grade complete with ties in place can be found where the roadbed was not utilized as a truck access to the mines. The final portion up to the Noonday was even paved!The TTRR's Image database shows the original B&W as well as other shots of the Noonday area.